My Totem Pole

For my totem pole, I would have to start with an owl being carved. This is for multiple reasons, the first being that owls are seen as a symbol of intelligence and wisdom, as it is the symbol of Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom, which being intelligent and doing well with my studies has always been an important part of me since grade 1. Secondly, owls started to become my favourite animal after learning the Greek connection to intelligence, so I have many decorative objects of owls now. Lastly, owls are seen in connection to the moon and can be a symbol of femininity, which showcases how I have become more comfortable being born female and having this body as I was growing up.

The next object I would want carved is a cross with the breast cancer awareness ribbon around it, pictured below. This is for my Grandma who died from breast cancer when I was around 10-11 years old. Religion was important to her, but she never pushed it on anyone or forced us to go to church when we were young, which has helped guide my beliefs on how to practice Christianity. She was one of my favourite people and her death has definitely had an impact on my life, so I would like to honour her on my totem pole.

(https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/TheBradfordExchangeCanada/0126683001)

The next object on my totem pole would be the flute. I had liked to play the flute in public school, but I really developed my skills in high school. Along with my twin, we got accepted into senior band a year before students were usually accepted, which helped me get over some shyness. While I do not play much anymore, learning the flute and practicing new songs was an important part of me in high school.

The fourth carving would be a phoenix. In grade 11, I became really depressed, often missing school and having unhealthy habits. It took a lot out of me to even wake up, but I eventually got some help once someone noticed some scars, got on anti-depressants that worked for me, and was involved in a safety plan for me at school. The phoenix is an animal that rises from the ashes, often seen as a mental health animal that depicts people learning to live with their mental health and become a healthier person, which I believe I've learned to live with my struggles.

The fifth carving would be a butterfly. Butterflies are a symbol of transformation, hope, rebirth, and more. Since coming out as non-binary a bit before college, I have started the journey to accept myself for who I am and what my body looks like. It took me a while to understand my identity and what it means to me, but I believe I have 'transformed' into a better and healthier me.

The last carving on my totem pole would be a peacock. This would be the last object as it depicts me in college and that is where I am right now in life. Peacocks can be a symbol of self-love and self-confidence. Through college, I have found myself becoming more confident, speaking up in class, talking to classmates, and becoming more social. I no longer feel uncomfortable being called upon or divided into groups with strangers, I've started to embrace it and I've noticed it makes a difference in my mental health as well.

My resources used were:

Owl Symbolism. Pure Spirit. (n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2022, from http://www.pure-spirit.com/more-animal-symbolism/400-owl

Moore, S. (2021, June 20). Meaning of the Phoenix. Black Phoenix. Retrieved December 8, 2022, from https://blackphoenixapparel.com/blogs/phoenix-guides/meaning-of-the-phoenix

Butterfly. Dictionary of Symbolism. (n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2022, from http://websites.umich.edu/~umfandsf/symbolismproject/symbolism.html/B/butterfly.html#:~:text=In%20its%20metamorphosis%20from%20the,over%20the%20physical%20prison%2C%20the

Harris, E. (2021, August 10). Peacock Spirit Animal. Spirit Animal Info. Retrieved December 8, 2022, from https://www.spiritanimal.info/peacock-spirit-animal/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Care Tip: Swimming

My Introduction

Pillars of Self-Care and Resilience